In 1953 the Archaeology department of the Museum of Pomerania was opened in Gdansk, while 1962 saw the opening of an independent Archaelogical Museum, under the leadership of Jan Leon Łuka. The Museum is housed in the listed building known as 'Naturalist House', continuing the tradition of the Gdansk Naturalist Association started in 1743.
The main function of the Museum is to preserve and research archaeological finds (particularly those from Gdansk) as well as to provide education for schoolkids through special lessons held at the Museum. The museum also organises outdoor archeological exhibitions (Sopot - Grodzisko and Gdansk - Zamczysko currrently under construction) as well as knightlore festivals. The museum also carries out ethnoarchaeological research in East Africa (The Sudan).
In the Museum it is currently possible to see the following permanent exhibitions:
Early Gdansk - an exhibition accompanying the prehistory of the Polish land, and the largest in the Museum. Works from the stone, bronze, early iron age as well as the Roman and Middle-ages. Of particular note is the display of early Pomeranian culture - the largest of its kind in Poland.
1000 years of Gdanskfrom excavations. This exhibition presents the most interesting exhibits from the middle ages to the 19th century dug out the ground in Gdansk in recent years.
A Millennium of Amber. An exhibition af amber in jewellery, archeology and art. It encompasses a collection of inclusions as well as various works taken from Gdansk Amber masters. It is the only permanent amber exhibition in Gdansk.
The Mysterious Nile Valley, Sudan - archaeology and ethniology. An exhibition of works from past till present taken from Nubia: clothes, everyday objects, weapons, and jewellery worn by the contemporary Sudanese.
Clothes workshops, looms from the middle ages, and a miniature Hanseatic Street: this is what is on offer at the Archaeological Educational Centre Błękitny lew, which is in the old Błękitny Baranek mill at 53 Chmielna Street.
The visitor is greated by 18 characters from old Gdansk, recostructed from skeletons found underneath the market hall in Gdansk. The atmosphere is enhanced by sounds and smells from the middle-ages. You can hear church bells, the sound of tools and animals and the smells of animal skins and fish. Błękitny Baranek has seven floors and comprises a total of 2936 m2 of floor space. It is the only mill in Gdansk with an original 17th century interior of wooden construction.
Open Tuesday - Sunday from 10.00 to 18.00. Admission 5 and 8 zl.
Our collections include 27 923 archaoelogical, ethnic and other finds dating from Palaeothic to the 20th century. The museum also offers a panoramic view of Gdansk from its observation tower.
In one branch of the Museum - the castle in Gniew - there are two permanent exhibitions:
Gniew and the surrounding area, an exhibition of archaeological finds from the stone age to the middle ages.
The Battle of Grundwald. An exhibition dedicated to the architecture of the post-teutonic period in Poland.
Employees of the Archaeological Museum organise archaeological research as well as festivals such as 'Grodzie of the Middle Ages' in Sopot Grodzisko.
Work is currently underway on the Archaeological Educational Centre Błękitny lew.
How to get to the Museum?:
The Museum is housed in a complex by the Motława between Mariacka, Dziana, Mydlarska and Długie Pobrzeże streets - in other words in the heart of the old town. Therefore, the Museum is easy to reach on foot. There is no access by car. The entrance is on Mariacka Street.
Summer: 10.00 - 17.00
Full price admission - 5 zl
Concessions - 4 zl